Pages

Wednesday 19 June 2013

Why Should Food be the Enemy?

After seeing a plug for yet another "This is why you're fat, and here are the foods you should stay away from" book, I had a flashback to the 'food wheel' at school.

I can't actually remember if that's what it was called, but when I was a kid, at school we were shown a wheel split into the food groups that a human needs, and each was made up of a collage of things that fell into each category.

As far as I remember, bread, sugar AND carbs were on there, all things that the above so-called "Self Help" book decided are bad for you, according to Jeremy Vine (@TheJeremyVine) on twitter.

No one food group can provide the nutrients that a human requires, so for a BALANCED diet you need to include all three of these things too; sugar, bread and carbohydrates.  And before you start; Fruit contains sugar, Vegetables contain carbohydrates, and bread is pretty unusual to include on it's own, though I can possibly guess (and kind of agree) that the preservatives included in mass-produced stuff might be the answer to its inclusion.

It's a shame to blame food for being the reason people are fat, but I'm also interested to know what else this book claims is the cause.  I admit that I've not read the book in question, "Why We Get Fat, And What to Do About It", by Gary Taubes, and will  definitely not be paying for the "pleasure", however if anyone wants to sling a copy in my direction I'll happily read it in order to give a more informative response.

From a lover of food who has just eaten carbs, bread AND sugar for breakfast!

ST x

No comments:

Post a Comment