Pages

Friday 21 June 2013

The Royal Horse - Leamington

Yet another "plastic pub" has opened near Leamington, a part of the Hungry Horse chain, we now welcome The Royal Horse.

On the face of it, it looks no different than any other new pub, and interior is pretty much the same too; the décor is nice, seating is nice, and "nice" is really the only adjective I can conjure up.  I'm not a great fan of these places, they tend to have very little in the way of atmosphere, or personality.

I have to say that the service is friendly, the people who sorted us with tables and food were polite, and had smiles (always great to see, and unfortunately a bit of a rarity these days).

Food wise, I have to say I was a little disappointed.  I ordered the Black and Blue Burger, which when it arrived looked pretty good - a decent sized burger, nice portion of fries, with coleslaw and barbecue sauce for dip.  I lifted up the burger 'lid' and was happy to find some onion rings in there, and a decent helping of the cheese sauce, though upon tasting the sauce contained next to no flavour, and I was grateful of the barbecue dip for all the wrong reasons.

The burger itself had a sort of "boiled" texture (for want of a better description) and was also lacking in flavour.  I found myself wishing I'd gone for my colleague's dish of chicken skewers - they looked fantastic, and the little I tasted of the piri-piri sauce was amazing.

I have to say that, on the whole it was an enjoyable meal, even if two of my colleagues didn't quite manage to finish the "Man vs Food" epic that was the (Wo)Man vs Burrito (1 is definitely have been enough for two people), and also, I have to a big thumbs up for the Warm Brownie with Ice Cream that I polished off afterwards.... yum!

For the price, The Royal Horse was not too bad, the service was nice, and there were good points about the food, however there are far too many restaurants of this type locally which have the same facilities and features, and unfortunately there was nothing that really stood out about this particular one.  

ST x

No comments:

Post a Comment